Ever heard about butterfly garden? Have you ever seen one? The garden I am talking about is a garden of flowers that bring lots and lots of butterflies, as I saw it on Sentosa Island, Singapore. The largest butterfly garden is in Dubai now, also known as miracle garden. And do you know, about another classical garden? It’s Lan Su Chinese garden Portland, it’s a walled enclosing a full city block, roughly 40,000 square feet! This garden represents Chinese gardening culture.
The butterfly garden is more in Florida, U.K. and South Australia. These gardens are beautiful, lots of different types of visitors visit there. Butterflies are colorful insects and garden is a colorful place. When you tie them together, they create an awesome scene. Al the colors in the earth seem to be there. These days’ people are health conscious, but beauty conscious are people from long before! The Egyptians started colorful temples and garden from 3500 years ago. People have hobbies of collecting anything they like. So the color combination with hobby went from butterflies and gardens. There are more than 20,000 butterflies. The most are gathered in the Dubai Butterfly Garden. People all around the world visit that garden. There are some more in other countries too. Inside the garden, there are so many butterflies, flying, dancing, and moving from bushes to flowers. An awesome scenery! The garden and the butterflies need attention and care. The best care in a butterfly garden, it gives you a great masterpiece. Construction, design and timely decoration pay in due time. You can make others fall in love with nature!
Butterfly Garden Dubai
Butterfly Garden Dubai offers quality time along with its surroundings for its visitors. It is located beside the miracle garden in Dubai, opening from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm for public visit, having almost 2600 square meters to walk around. Thus claims to be the biggest butterfly garden with its nine domes. Many visitors enjoyed as it is indoor and is appreciated, even when the weather is not favorable. It has an insect’s museum, offering a large number of butterflies for the kids and adults to enjoy and to get photographs. Throughout the museum, visitors enjoy beautiful color combination, decorations, crafted butterflies and designed bushes with interesting shapes. It is a good suggestion and better choice to visit Dubai Butterfly Garden, spending time and money with family.
Butterfly types and facts
There are various kinds of butterflies and they vary heavily in shapes and colors. Some of the most popular butterflies according to Google are:
1. Red admiral: A common black winged and medium-sized (2.5 cm in size) butterfly with white spots.
2. Cabbage white: The Pieris Rapae small to medium in size and white in color.
3. Monarch: An endangered butterfly, going extinct due to genetically engineered crops. The gift of science causing damage to society and nature.
4. Swallowtails: There are 550 species of them and they are so hungry that they eat their own eggshells. Swallowtails are large in size (6.5 cm to 14cm), found in tropical areas.
5. Painted lady: A nontoxic species butterfly, very colorful, 5cm to 7.3cm in size.
Even though some are not as popular they mean a lot to us due to their rarity. Scientists have always given importance to rare insects as they are more prone to go extinct in which case they should be cultivated with more care. Also even if they are rare in populated areas and roam freely in the wild; cultivating such species is also required.
• Richmond Birdwing (Ornithoptera richmondia)
• Spicebush Swallowtail (Papilio Troilus)
• Question Mark Butterfly (Polygonia interrogationis)
• Common Buckeye (Junonia coenia)
• Heliconius sapho (Sapho Longwing)
Another rare butterfly is Blue Morpho Butterfly. Sadly enough humans destructing their habitat is one of the reasons. It is said that the most beautiful butterfly in the world is Blue Morpho Butterfly. They are also one of the largest butterflies with wings spanning from 5 to 8 inches. They have microscopic scales that reflect light thus creating a blue shade that is one of the rarest colors found in nature. This characteristic makes it all the more important to ensure their existence.
There are in total of 7 families of butterflies. Scientists have classified them according to their appearance and behavior. These are,
• Hedylidae (American moth-butterflies): American moth butterflies small in size, brown colored and has a long slim abdomen and body structure. They are different from other butterflies as their antennae’s are not clubbed like others.
• Hesperiidae (Skippers): Skippers are different from other butterflies because their antennae’s are hooked backward. They are small in size too.
• Lycaenidae (Gossamer-winged butterflies): Lycaenidae are the most common ones, you can see them flutter on parks or roadsides in broad day-light. But they are a peculiar creation, as they have a false head with dark eyespots.
• Nymphalidae (Brush-footed butterflies): Nymphalidae is bright in color with reduced forelegs which appease to having four legs.
• Papilionidae (Swallowtail butterfly): Swallowtails are colorful, very attractive and large in shape. They are the prizes to the collectors. They have anchored neck and are distasteful to their predators. They are rather avoided by their predators. They have a tail-like section in their wings.
• Pieridae (White and Allies): Pieridae have fore-legs common in both male and female ones. They have an abdominal silk griddle. Most of these butterflies are white, yellow or orange in color with black spots on them. They have a weird habit of keeping their own wastes inside their body which causes pigmentation.
• Riodinidae (Metalmark butterflies): Riodinidae the most unique colored butterflies. They have metal colors black, orange and blue colors on them. They too have reduced fore-legs uniquely shaped segment. These butterflies play an interesting and important part for guava cultivation.
There are some most beautiful butterflies in the world. Zebra longwing butterfly, Forest giant owl butterfly, Glassy-winged butterfly, Apollo butterfly, Peacock pansy and Sylphina angel butterfly etc.
Butterflies are insects that serve nature and harms nature too. But most of them are beneficial insects. A butterfly plays an important role in nature. They are foods for predators. But are good pollinators, they serve plants to change flowers into fruits. They are weed eaters and becomes food to other insects or birds. The butterfly tastes with its legs, they can see through ultraviolet rays and has 6000 lenses. A specific butterfly can lay eggs on one type of plant and when the caterpillar comes out of the eggshell, it eats its own shell due to hunger. Butterflies are not deaf. Instead their heads they have brains in their thorax. They have a long heart, which has chambers inside, they do not have eyelids, so it is not possible for them to close eyes. Female butterflies have an extra stomach. They don’t have bones in their body and they breathe through tiny pores inside their body. Butterflies can fly 30 miles/hr. Migrating butterflies can fly from 3000 to 4000 kilometers. An average butterfly weighs 0.3 to 0.4 grams. If their wings get torn, they grow their wings back. The butterfly does not feel pains, but none should touch the wings, because the touch affects their flying abilities.
Butterflies life can be divided into four stages. Egg, Larva, pupa and adult. A butterfly has six legs and three body parts. Baby butterflies are caterpillars, which lives on plants, and they live on nectars when they become butterflies. Butterflies don’t have mouth or jaws to eat. When you observe a butterfly, you will see that they have a straw-like part, through which they drink nectar and uses their feet as taste receptors. Caterpillars keep themselves attached to twigs and sheds their outer skin while changing into Pupa. A beautiful butterfly emerges from Pupa and waits a few hours before it starts flying. Some of the species of butterflies have one week to a year of lifespan. In average a butterfly has two weeks or less to live. A beautiful experience to watch butterfly garden lifespan for observers to learn and enjoy.
Butterflies have many problems to live, they are eaten by insects (predators) like wasps, mantis, spiders, birds, ants and bugs etc. If anyone uses pesticides to get rid of these than it will not be a good idea as the butterflies might get killed with it. There are some diseases like some virus and some other butterflies. These predators can be treated as, they can be washed away with mild dish detergent water, which can clean aphids. Some butterfly predator lives on the larvae of other butterflies but if the plants, that predators live on, are cut off before they get mature than more butterflies can breed and live, lays eggs, gives birth and dies. When are in larva form, they are changed into cocoons and can be boiled to produce silk. At the time of being a cocoon, they only sleep but after they transform into a caterpillar, they become hungry and eats on leaves.
Some plants are very good at attracting butterflies. You can grow such plants then more and more butterflies will come to the garden, and will give a colorful view. This view is so beautiful that when the butterflies are called “flying colors.” Butterflies are picky about selecting plants to breed on. They lay eggs on the plants on only they feel comfortable with. Also the leaves become foods too, so it is best to let them breed and enjoy the plants.
Butterfly garden designs and care
The butterfly garden is easy to create in different sizes and shapes. Most of the plants that attract butterflies take a lot of spaces. Butterflies need a sunny spot with artificial poodles. It helps to let them keep warm and a lot of water supply to survive. When you create a butterfly garden, you should keep in mind that the more diverse the flowers are the more species of butterflies will visit your garden. Be it small or be it big, time spent there is time spent well.
A beautiful butterfly garden does not need a large space. You can carve a space from your yard, you can use containers on your deck or patio. There are some important points to keep in your mind. Before you create your garden, check on these points to create an attractive “Butterfly Garden.” The size of the garden is not important but how you create it, design it is important.
• Sunlight: The location of your butterfly garden must have 6 hours of sunlight and warmth. Butterflies live and love through sunlight. Adult butterflies only feed in the sun, mind it!
• Selection of flowers: Get only the flowers that attract butterflies but keep away pesticides. Even organic pesticides are harmful to them. You choose non-toxic pesticides only targeting the pests. Remember to choose butterfly-friendly plants, not the ones you like. Some plants do not attract any kind of butterflies.
• Provide extra food sources and water: Butterflies get foods from flowers but when you provide more, the garden will be more attractive. They enjoy puddles and rainwater points.
• Place for rest: Use some flat stones, obelisks or rocks, tree trunks, logs, etc. So that butterflies can take rest. They like to rest while feeding or warming themselves. This also adds decorations inside your garden. It will be good for the photos too.
Most people who have the garden habit, are interested in making gardens. This butterfly garden is two in one. You can plant nectar plants and some flower plants liked by the butterflies, and they will come to your garden. So you can have a flower garden and a butterfly garden. Two beauty in one place, view and enjoy!